[Stoves] Vietnamese brick kilns

Alex English english at kingston.net
Mon Oct 15 20:11:23 CDT 2012

Marc and Crispin,
This is a useful document for assessing boiler/furnace performance,
especially when they are on all the time. Seasonal space heating
efficiencies need to take into account standby losses.
The masonry heater folks are grappling with this. Can we cap that
chimney in the off cycle? Thats frowned upon. What is the true cost of
that chimney? My daughter needs a new way to heat her home. There are
interuptable electricty rates which together with mass thermal storage
for off peak power rates allow for chimneyless space heating. (Still
need some air change is humans are involved) Competing combustion based
systems require venting where the effects of barometric draft dampers
and their kin are often left out of the sales literature.

Alex

Gleaned by google;

    Heating Efficiency

__

High efficiency heating systems have become popular because they save
fuel and, one would suppose, save money. But what do they mean when they
talk about efficiency? What is furnace efficiency? Actually, there are
two ways to measure it -steady state and seasonal.

      Steady State Efficiency

Steady state efficiency refers to how much usable heat iscreated when a
furnace is running. Conventional gas and oil furnaces have steady state
efficiencies of roughly eighty percent. When the furnace is on, .twenty
.percent ofthe heat that is generated goes up the chimney while the
remaining eightypercent is transferred through a component called a heat
exchanger and stays in the house. This isthe heat that travels through
the ductwork and ends up coming out of the registers in each room. But
even in the dead of winter, furnaces are not on all of the time. They
cycle on as the thermostat calls for heat, and off when the thermostat
is satisfied. During start-up and cool down, the furnace is not
operating as efficiently.Also, when the furnace is not on, heat from
inside the house escapes up the chimney flue the same way that heat
would escape from an unused fireplace, if the damper was left open.

      Seasonal Efficiency

If you add these off-cycle losses to the steady state losses,you end up
with the seasonal efficiency. Seasonal efficiencies for conventional gas
and oil furnaces are about sixty to sixty-five percent.

Therefore, if you buy a thousand dollars worth of gas or oil over the
course of a winter and you have a conventional furnace, only about $600
to $650 worth ofthe fuel will be used to heat your house and rest will
be wasted.But what about mid and high efficiency furnaces? How efficient
are they, and what makes them so efficient?

      Mid-efficiency Furnaces

Mid-efficiency furnaces have a seasonal efficiency of about eighty
percent. They achieve this by cutting off-cycle losses. Mid- efficiency
gas furnaces do not have a continuously running pilot. Itis shut off
when the furnace is idle. Also, to prevent heat from escaping up the
chimney when the furnace is not on, some manufacturers install a
motorized damper in the exhaust flue to close it during idle periods.
(Other manufacturers use other approaches to accomplish the same thing.)

*_High-efficiency Furnaces_*.

High efficiency furnaces employ similar techniques to reduce on-cycle
losses, but go further to improve the steady state efficiency. Instead
of having one heatexchanger, most have two or even three heat exchangers
to extract more heat from the burning fuel. High efficiency systems can
be 95 percent efficient.Because high efficiency systems are more
complex, they cost more -typically$1,000 to $1,500 more than a
conventional furnace. If you look at fuel costs only, the house that
cost $1,000 to heat with a conventional furnace should cost only $650 or
so to heat with a high efficiency system, yielding a savings of $350 or
so a year. In a few years, the system would have paid for itself.

Some models of high efficiency furnaces, however, have had reliability
problems and virtually all high efficiency systems require more costly
maintenance which eats into the savings. Therefore, if you are
considering a high efficiency system, on a retrofit basis, or

as an option on a new home, it is best to speak to a reliable heating
contractor to discuss .the pros and cons of various models and the
estimated increase in maintenance costs.

*Source : Dwelling View Engineers 2000*