[Stoves] Very small stoves and reheating food

Ray Menke ray.menke at gmail.com
Sat Oct 20 14:28:31 CDT 2012

Paul,
I have a smaller home made version of Dr. Reed's Woodgas Campstove XL
that uses a dog food can as the burn pot.  If I load it with dry
slices of biomass, and ignite some slices of cardboard and charcoal
dust soaked in alcohol on top of the biomass, it will just bring four
cups of water to a boil if there is no wind.  (Pot shield required.)
Often I will have to add some additional wood to get enough heat to
finish the job. Unfortunately, the dog food can has a very short life,
and adding fuel means you have to sit and watch it.  The stainless
steel burn pot in my official Woodgas Campstove XL burnt out, and I
replaced it with some heavier plain steel with the same hole patterns
but because of the thermal mass, it does not start up or perform as
well as the original.   I also built a scaled down version of a
Peko-Pe using stainless steel, but without forced air, it is a smoke
maker probably because I attempted to scale it down..  The dimensions
given for your Champion, and the dimensions of the XL's pot are just
right!  (As is the full sized Peko-Pe.)
We are a household of two, with a nut that wants to cook out on the
patio with junk biomass and cardboard slices.  Our microwave is rated
at 950 watts and takes six minutes to heat those four cups of water.
That is one-tenth of a KWH.  Therefore, it costs less than two cents
for the electricity to heat that water.  I'm guessing that is about
what the alcohol costs to start up my TLUD stove.
However, we have all electric hot water heaters switched off most of
the year, so I fire up one of my two Anderson Champion TLUD stoves and
heat four gallons of water for dish washing, and then a two quart pot
goes on the stove to boil water for coffee.  Half of the water is for
the coffee, and the other half goes into some Stanley thermos bottles
(that are wrapped up in wool cloth for additional insulation) for use
later.  I typically load my stove with one inch hardwood cubes, then
some torrefied wood/dry charcoal then cardboard and cereal box slices
dusted with charcoal fines and sprinkled with some alcohol.  Once that
burns down to a solid bed of glowing charcoal I can either add more
wood cubes or half-baked charcoal to extend the cooking time.  For
simmering I add charcoal lumps; for frying I will add some wood, etc.
I have insulated the riser portion of your stove with ceramic wool
high temperature insulation wrapped in aluminum foil, and even with
the char bed some distance below the pot, it still throws lots of
heat.
My attempts to reduce the size of the stove have not met with success.
 Variations in the quality and quantity of fuel in the standard sized
stove work better for me.  I highly recommend the use of the Stanley
Vacuum Bottle to store hot water, especially when kept in a "hay box"
or wrapped in wool cloth.
 One last hint:  Charcoal fines with alcohol (or chicken fat, or
slivers of candle wax) will help develop that glowing char on TOP of
the fuel that helps consume smoke created as the fuel burns from the
top downward.

Ray (the guy who sits and cuts cardboard and cereal boxes into 1" long
by 1/4" wide strips.)

--
Ray  Menke