[Stoves] Watson Fellowship - Looking for Suggestions

Rhiya Trivedi rhiyatrivedi at gmail.com
Sun Oct 21 02:23:14 CDT 2012

Hi all,

My name is Rhiya Trivedi - I got access to this group from Cecil Cook, I
hope you don't mind. I am a 2012-2013 Thomas J. Watson Fellow
<http://www.watsonfellowship.org/site/fellows/12_13.html>, which means I
have funding for twelve months to travel the world and investigate any
topic of my choice. My funded topic deals specifically with efficient
stove distribution and construction as a climate change solution for
communities historically disempowered by climate change rhetoric.

I was a very involved climate activist for five years in the American,
Canadian, and international climate change movements but was obviously
dismayed by the extent to which Northern powers entirely dominate and
oppress Southern, vulnerable nations within multilateral negotiations.
Recent climate science on the impact of cooking fires and black carbon
on short term climate change offers some remedy to this unequal power
dynamic; developing countries have some agency over the climate and I'm
out to see whether stove deployment is at all possible on the scale
necessary in the time afforded us by the climate (in the absence of
action from the world largest carbon emitters).

I'm coming from Malawi where I've split my time between two major stove
efforts, one of which was specifically working to mitigate black carbon
and one which was not. In South Africa I'm hoping to visit as many stove
projects as possible and volunteer if at all possible (I've found
throughout my life that lending a hand is the best way to understand the
ins and outs of a project). I'll be spending 7 months with stove
projects in India and Nepal come January.

So mainly I'm looking for projects anywhere in South Africa (or
Swaziland or Lesotho) that are contributing to might allow me to come
and pick their brains for some time (I'm not doing formal research so my
needs are very low - I just want to be able to chat with implementers
and target communities as freely as possible). I'm completely flexible
between mid-November and December 31st to come and visit, and quite
possibly before that if those dates don't work.

My CV is attached if that is at all of interest. I look forward to
hearing from any of you at your earliest convenience.

Warm regards for a cooler planet,

Rhiya