[Stoves] 200 litre char maker from Mongolia

Crispin Pemberton-Pigott crispinpigott at gmail.com
Sun Oct 21 05:42:31 CDT 2012

Dear Ken

>With these and similar drum based biochar kilns becoming more common, I
wonder whether it is worthwhile categorising them into their basic mode of
operation, so when new designs come available, they can be similarly
categorised and their main design points, such as biomass to char conversion
efficiency defined.

I am in favour of it but can't get too excited by the category issue because
of overlapping features and I also feel that it tends to limit innovation by
pigeon-holing ideas. Perhaps there is a way to view a device from several
angles. As I make at least one stove that falls into 3 or 4 categories, it
has to be done with a grain of salt tied on top.  J

>- if there are any reports or links to these developments, I would be
interested.

There is indeed a presentation and is should be available from the Chinese
Agricultural University testing methods conference proceedings (still
on-going). The presentation will be made on behalf of the college by
Amartuvshin Ulziitogtokh who is working in that region.