[Stoves] Extended use of TLUDs Re: [biochar] Used Tractors...biochar on homestead

ajheggie at gmail.com ajheggie at gmail.com
Thu Oct 25 15:42:44 CDT 2012

[Default] On Thu, 25 Oct 2012 12:06:40 +0100,Steve Taylor
<steve at thetaylorfamily.org.uk> wrote:

>On 25 October 2012 11:59, Alex English <english at kingston.net> wrote:

>> matter. When cutting with acetylene and oxygen, if you momentarily snub the
>> torch and extinguish the flame the gasses can fill a closed container and
>> then ignite on an ember with dangerous yield.

I did something similarly daft and the detonation blew out the torch
flame, gases refilled the cylinder ( fire extinguisher with wood
debris from a previous experiment) and it repeated, about 10 loud
cracks like an assault rifle before I turned the gas off, I don't
think my ears have ever recovered.

My biggest TLUD was 2 205 litre barrels brazed together. One was an
old lubricating oil drum which cut fine with a small fire from the
residual oil. the other had been used to drain petrol contaminated
diesel from a car that had been miss filled. It was mostly diesel but
as the disk cutter pierced the top there was a whoosh and a blue flame
from the oil bung, it chased me across the barn burning my arm as it
rolled by.

>I plasma cut them with no problems. Fill with water and bleach solution
>(destroys the mercaptans), drain and cut with 20,000 degree gas

Why drain, wouldn't it be safer to keep the tank filled to just under
the cut?

AJH