[Stoves] Why TLUDs are not mass produced

Paul Olivier paul.olivier at esrla.com
Fri Oct 26 11:43:04 CDT 2012

Paal,

Try to make a tin can by hand. This is terribly inefficient.
Tin cans are best made by machines (mass production).
There are many parts to my gasifier that require enormous time to make by
hand.
Like the analogy with the tin can, this too is terribly inefficient.
If we need to provide work to poor people, we might try to figure out more
productive things for them to do.
The TLUD parts that I am proposing are not made in China, but here in
Vietnam where I live.
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/22013094/150%20Gasifier/Jpegs/JP6/150%20Gasifier%20Parts.pdf
The factory in Vietnam has accepted to make parts virtually at cost and
and I do not mark-up anything.
Also I bear fully the substantial cost of making the molds and jigs needed
for mass production.
My profit in all of this is totally zero. So it's not about making me or
anyone else rich.
Without mass-production the cost of many TLUD parts doubles and even
triples.
If costs are inflated because I insist that things be made one at a time by
hand in order to provide employment,
 then a lot of poor people will not be able to afford the gasifiers that
are so badly needed.

But once parts are mass-produced, I see a place for small workshops to
assemble parts.
If a small workshop should somehow manage to make parts more cheaply than
the mass-produced parts, I gladly encourage them to so so.
In fact I will even supply drawings. There is nothing proprietary in what I
do with gasifiers.

For example, I recently gave drawings to Dr. Reg Preston,
 and he in turn passed them on to NGOs in several countries in South
America.
If these NGOs need parts, I will help them out at cost.

Many thanks.
Paul Olivier

--
Paul A. Olivier PhD