[Stoves] Powering a TLUD Fan

rongretlarson at comcast.net rongretlarson at comcast.net
Sat Sep 1 11:55:43 CDT 2012

Andrew and list:

This is to ask for your thoughts on a different approach to air control than a fan (with or without a battery). That is to use a (pre-pumped) air storage "bladder" .
My rationale for this query includes:
1. energy storage via air (CAES) has quite a few proponents. Large vehicles have operated on air storage (where electricity was a hazard) and there are companies building cars based on air storage..
2. compressed air supply is common in many places - as air-motors are lighter weight and cheaper than electric.
3. What is needed in TLUDs is controllable primary air - not electricity. In Josh Kearn's bicycle-flywheel-fan proposal, one can compress air perhaps as easily as putting energy into a flywheel (using inner tubes or similar) and then conversion to a fan/blower. That is - one is storing exactly what you want to supply - no energy conversions needed.
4. I think there are controllable constant volume-flow valves - that would also allow controlling power levels (turn down ratios).
5. Your use below of the term 1 cubic meter per 1 kg biomass sounds potentially doable with moderate size "bladders". I have no idea how many atmospheres of pressure is reasonable, nor what material (if any) might be appropriate with simple TLUDs. The issue only is whether air storage might be cheaper than other approaches. As Crispin pointed out, the low pressure above the fuel supply reduces the needed pressure (but not the amount of needed air).
6. The fact that the air will be heated going into the "bladder" and cooled coming out might not be a problem is the air is preheated by flowing downward through an outer air-tight "jacket" surrounding the fuel chamber.
7. My gut feeling is that this will only work economically if a second use can be found for the "bladder". Solar plus rechargeable batteries can be pretty cheap when you are also getting lighting, radio, cell-phone-recharging, etc.

Ron