[Stoves] pot skirt efficiency estimates, scale-up

Josh Kearns yeah.yeah.right.on at gmail.com
Fri Sep 14 23:36:15 CDT 2012

I'm thinking about building a 5-gal TLUD fired 55-gal water heater for
outdoor showers. I'm wondering if anyone has a ballpark estimate for heat
transfer efficiency w/ and w/o using a pot skirt attachment. The hot water
tank will be a 55-gal steel drum, so I think the setup is pretty analogous
to a cookstove setup, just bigger.

20%?

Any thoughts are helpful, rough estimates OK.....thanks!

FYI, the char from the water heating setup will be used in arbor-loo style
modular composting toilets. This infrastructure is being installed during a
rambo design-and-build sesh for my wedding on a farm in rural Appalachia
(USA), but will be used continually by future events at the site. Cool,
huh?!?!

Josh