[Stoves] Heating water

Alex English english at kingston.net
Sat Sep 15 18:27:48 CDT 2012

Another inverted way of heating water is to pass the hot  gasses through
a pipe that goes in and out a tank. I have used 3 inch muffler pipe bent
with two 90 degree bends to go in and out from the top of  a  tub to
heat water for washing wool. We fired it with a propane tiger torch but
it could be done with other fuels. We are currently working on heating
warm water in a 24 feet diameter X 3 feet deep  tank/pool made with
polyethylene and old conveyor belting. This would be fired with chips in
a Quasi Dasifier but a TLUD could work.

see pic of 'large intestine' 6 inch dia heat exchanger (work in progress)
https://picasaweb.google.com/100691739453894624566/August282012#5781890298476587842

These would of course be  partial condensing heat exchangers with
potential corrosion issues inside and out, but we are using schedule 10
sprinkler pipe and the cost is low in boiler terms.

Just another way to look at the problem.
Alex