[Stoves] Purple flame

Dean Still deankstill at gmail.com
Sun Sep 23 19:10:45 CDT 2012

Hi Stovers!

I've been noticing a shift from blue flames above the burning bio-char in a
TLUD to purple flames nearer the end of the burn when the bottom of the
pile is glowing bright orange. I suppose that the blue flame is caused by
burning CO but I wonder why the purple forms after the blue? The blue self
sustaining flame doesn't heat the water in the pot as well as the purple
flame phase although the pile of bio-char is fully ignited at that time and
may account for the more rapid rise in water temperature.

Any ideas?

Best,

Dean