[Stoves] Fabricated Burn Barrel TLUDS

Anand Karve adkarve at gmail.com
Sat Sep 29 01:21:58 CDT 2012

Dear Tom,
we regularly supply charring kilns made out of used 55 gallon drums. The
kilns are based on the TLUD principle. The cost of a kiln plus an extra
barrel for storing the char, is about US$100. We have sold more than 100
such kilns in India and have also trained a number of persons from India
and Africa. These kilns are so easy to manufacture, that we ask the
trainees to photograph and take measurements of our kiln so that they can
copy the design. In many instances, people buy a kiln from us, because they
feel that their local fabricator would be better able to copy the design
from an actual object than from a blue print or a photograph.
The advantage of using 55 gallon drums is that used drums are available at
a relatively low cost, and the kilns are portable. Instead of transporting
the biomass, one transports the kiln to the location where the biomass is
available, and brings back only the charred material, which weighs only a
third as much as the biomass.
Yours
A.D.Karve

--