[Stoves] Fabricated Burn Barrel TLUDS

Carefreeland at aol.com Carefreeland at aol.com
Sun Sep 30 12:07:06 CDT 2012

Tom, Kobus,
    Once I start to produce nursery stock and bedding  plants I'll have
sufficient usage for the charcoal fines. At some point I'll  build a charcoal
powered forge and use the nugget char for that. I use any  charcoal for
greenhouse heating in very cold weather once it's rebuilt. Yes ,  I'll
incorporate compost, sand and even some ash back into the planting mix to  balance it.
Allowing it to sit on rotated piles in the rain and break down  farther,
helps to mix it.
    The problem is to quickly find a cash market for  the char until I can
start paying enough bills to rebuild the greenhouse. The  future in
landscaping is bright because there is little competition left. The  prolonged
severe drought, severe storms, and many foreclosed houses and  other neglected
structures has left a huge backlog of landscaping work. My  suburb area north
of Dayton is mostly a blue collar city. It was hit hard with  the auto and
manufacturing downturn. Delphi ( once Delco) closed 5 large auto  parts
plants in the area during the last decade. New manufacturing is  returning but it
takes time.
    The only problem is that right now few folks around  here can afford to
pay to get work done. The ones that have the money are  nervous about the
future. When I do rarely get a sales call for work, I have the  highest
percentage of closed deals in 32 years in business. I do about 90%  of the jobs I
bid on. Few are complaining about high prices for work  either. Few
customers are discussing getting other bids on smaller jobs because  they have to
get big expensive landscapers from 20 miles across the big city to  come and
bid. My real competition is the black market with very unprofessional  grass
cutters trying to act as professional landscapers.
    The fines are produced from the small twigs in the  brush. Particularly
the shrub dogwood and the Honeysuckle have multiple very  fine twigs. The
Hedge Apple AKA Osage Orange or Boise De Ark ( wood of the bow).  has a lot
of thorns. All of these pyrolise into very hard particles and shards.
    If anybody is having success selling charcoal in  the USA let me know
how.

    Thanks,
        Dan Dimiduk