[Stoves] Stove testing with and beyond the WBT

Ranyee Chiang rchiang at cleancookstoves.org
Fri Apr 5 14:52:37 CDT 2013

Paul, Dean, Crispin, et al. -

We're looking forward to seeing the detailed proposed protocol.  For all protocol development, we at the Alliance have been emphasizing the need for review by broad stakeholders - regional testing centers, manufacturers, investors, and consumer representatives as much as possible, so we hope that the review process can continue with this effort.  At one point Crispin had questioned whether this process leads to independent review.  I think  independence is a tricky concept, because it's unclear who the independence would be from.  But I think a better way to achieve the broad goal is to have inclusive and public review (if you have enough voices, the result is somewhat independent from everyone).  I think the issues to especially focus on will be ones that impact the various stakeholders - testing feasibility, resources needed (time, financial, equipment), clarity for communicating results, etc.

As Dean mentioned, we are focused on how to integrate field considerations into best practices for testing and standards.  We had much discussion at the Forum (notes are currently being polished), and it will continue.  It will be important to work out how we fit the different protocols together, when which protocol is used, based on context, resources, goals.  How would newly developed procedures supplement, partially replace, replace existing protocols?  Of course, this is also related to the goal for harmonization as raised in the IWA.

Paul also raised the issue of recalculating older test results so they can be comparable or harmonized.  I think another issue to consider is how much have technologies changed and are the older test results still applicable.  We are also planning discussions to map out a strategy for integrating future testing results and data together, especially to communicate stove performance (IWA Tiers) that has been independently evaluated.  Part of the discussion should be around what is the minimal set of data that the testing centers need to share to facilitate collaboration and harmonization among the different centers.

Best regards,
Ranyee