[Stoves] Principles - draft from 2011

Tom Miles tmiles at trmiles.com
Sat Apr 6 11:24:35 CDT 2013

Jock,

Thanks for the resurrecting the principles draft. These are helpful
observations about the products of pyrolysis and gasification but I think
you have provided a narrow definition of desirable biochar qualities.

Your tests suggest discarding char that is hydrophobic (floaters), not
charred (brown bits), ashy (not neutral pH), smelly (creosote), or oily
(soap test). These are useful tests for characterizing the qualities of the
char but there is no reason to discard it because of these qualities. Just
use the chars appropriately. The floaters may serve to bulk a soil that may
be compacted. The incompletely charred material can also be used as an
amendment. It will eventually break down. Ashy char has more value as ash
than as char. I haven't seen a char yet with neutral pH. You may mean to say
that ashy char is likely to have a high pH and should be used appropriately.
>From what I have seen char that is oily or smells of creosote can be used to
growth abundant and healthy plants.

Tom