[Stoves] Stove testing with and beyond the WBT

Paul Anderson psanders at ilstu.edu
Sat Apr 6 20:53:15 CDT 2013

Dear Ranyee, Crispin, and all,

Thank you both for the stimulating exchanges of messages.   I think
(hope) we are moving along the right track.

I want to pick up on only one sub-theme, about having ACTUAL DATA SETS
for us to use in the comparisons of testing procedures. (that is NOT
about comparisons of the specific stoves that were tested.)

>  Ranyee wrote:
>
> >Part of the discussion should be around what is the minimal set of data that the testing centers need to
> share to facilitate collaboration and harmonization among the
> different centers.
>
>  Crispin responded:
>
> I can open that conversation by suggesting that if a claim is publicly
> made the raw data (in the form of the reporting spreadsheet on which
> the calculations were made) is also made public. It may be possible to
> limit it to that information needed to recalculate the result based on
> what we now know are problem areas (like the treatment of fuel
> moisture, charcoal remaining, water volume processed, averaging
> procedures, conceptual considerations and procedural relevance.
>
> Having that information would a) allow us to recalculate the old WBT's
> in the Stove Inventory into a modern form, b) determine what the IWA
> tiers would be if they were set using current understanding, c) permit
> mathematically correct averaging of multiple tests to give and
> 'average performance', and d) permit the validation of tools that can
> be incorporated into an ISO Standard of stove testing methods.
As far as I know (and I do NOT specialize in this), very few sets of RAW
data are available for examination.   I am not talking about the
inventory of tested stoves.   We do NOT need specific stoves to be
named.  Could be "RS23B" for some Rocket Stove.   We have my partial
data set for the Quad 2 (emissions were not measured) and it might be
"TS32J" for TLUD Stove with a code number.   Let's have some more data sets.

1.  If I am wrong, let's have a listing of the addresses for the data.

2.  Can the EPA data from Jetter be released with code names only?    Do
testing centers ONLY test for clients who have paid and therefore own
their data?   Do all of the clients decline to let the testing centers
put a few examples of full sets of raw data up for examination?
Although some For-Profit companies might not want to share (or need
shareholder approval?), what about the data for the stoves of all of the
NGOs and Not-For-Profit entities that have their stoves tested?   Or
what about raw data that was collected with funding from public money?
Maybe the Freedom of Information Act can be applied to data files for
stoves tested in America.

3.  Or should we just pretend that we can have great confidence in the
existing testing?   That will lead to chaos eventually.

4.  We either have test results that will bear re-evaluation, or we do
not.   We do not need thousands of data sets.   But a representative
number for the major types of stoves would be appreciated.   This should
be a PRIORITY of the GACC that makes a major statement of being
technology neutral.

I sympathize with Ranyee who is in the "hot seat" about this and is the
spokesperson of the GACC about testing matters.  But the GACC top
administration needs to address this issue of having raw data sets
available for examination (but leaving off the names of the stoves and
stove makers).

Ranyee wrote:

> >Paul also raised the issue of recalculating older test results so they can be comparable or harmonized.  I think
> another issue to consider is how much have technologies changed and
> are the older test results still applicable.

Well, having "older test results" possibly deemed NON-applicable would
really shake up the stove evaluation situation.   How old is "old"?
Are the EPA Jetter-run tests already "old?"   We had better look into
this NOW (action to start in April) than to have the testing issues
haunt us for months and years and millions and millions of dollars spent
for "technology neutral" assistance that does not back the right horses
in the races.

That is frightening!!!!!!!!!

Paul

Paul S. Anderson, PhD  aka "Dr TLUD"