[Stoves] Stove testing with and beyond the WBT

Dean Still deankstill at gmail.com
Sun Apr 7 01:14:07 CDT 2013

Dear Ron,

Most of the time a TLUD/char making stove can boil the water and then
simmer using the initial load of fuel so there's no interruption of the
normal function. I try to design batch loaded stoves to boil and simmer
anyway so cooks are happy. More like a gas stove.

I don't have trouble testing TLUDs and batch loaded stoves. As you saw in
Jim Jetter's last paper, the TLUD outscored fan stoves with especially high
thermal efficiency (over 50%). TLUDs/char making stoves can score very well
(super low CO, CO2, PM and very high thermal efficiency) when tuned which
is reality for these stoves.

 Paul Anderson and I had a nice chat today about Stove Camp, etc. We agreed
that initially we like to look at the emissions of CO, CO2, PM in a TLUD or
other super clean stove in real time on the computer screen while tuning
the stove to burn as cleanly as possible, like adjusting the carburetor in
a motor.

I do that first and then do the longer boiling and simmering test once the
stove is working well.

Please try to come to Stove Camp this year, if possible.

I think you'll really like having quantified results and I'll bring you,
and everyone, coffee and donuts in the morning.

All Best,

Dean