[Stoves] Biomass Fired Appliance Characteristics, Features, Qualities, Attributes and or Considerations

Tom Miles tmiles at trmiles.com
Sun Apr 7 11:32:49 CDT 2013

> 5. Durability and ruggedness, longevity, will it last? will it burn
> out? or will it break, what is the lifespan.

>From what I have heard in recent years at ETHOS, on the lists, and from
reports of the recent GACC meeting it seems like GACC is willing to
sacrifice durability for performance in order to meet carbon and numbers
goals. While some cultures may use a 1 year stove, others, especially in
Latin America, value a robust, durable stove.

If you were to do a meta-analysis - study of studies - of systematic,
multi-year monitoring of stoves including as many of the (now 41) criteria
on Lanny's list as you can find, where would durability land in importance
to the consumer? How would the individual stoves rank in durability? How
would those results vary across the globe?

Most of us got our start by trying to help the rural poor. Urbanization has
increased exponentially just since we began these discussions 17 years ago.
Are current strategies in stove development suited to the needs of urban
households? Are we keeping pace with the demographics? Is durability
important to urban households?

Finally, if GACC was created to serve us, how can we use it to meet our
needs? Where can we find Lanny's criteria in the framework of GACC? Which of
the GACC development tools including grants, workshops, and information
tools include these criteria? Where does the money go? What means does GACC
have to help those who are attempting to improve, and have demonstrated
promising performance, in each of Lanny's categories? How do grant
recipients score on stove performance in these categories? Correct me if I
am wrong but it seems like the organizations that are in the best position
to get GACC funding are those that are at the apex of stove politics rather
than performance. We need to figure out how to make the organization benefit
those who need it most.

Tom