[Stoves] Alternative to charcoal

Jonathan P Gill jg45 at icloud.com
Tue Apr 9 06:59:49 CDT 2013

Crispin,

Thanks for the clarification.  As for energy content analysis, the US Forest Service puts out a handy fuel value calculator that cover various materials at various prices, energy densities and moisture contents.  Personally, I am now burning Vermont softwood pellets with a BTU content of around 8,800 BTUs per pound.

In general, we presume that pyrolysis will require almost twice as much feedstock as a similar combustion device if equivalent thermal output is desired. This is why I ask the question concerning the value of the charcoal/Biochar produced.  If it valuable enough, then it more than offsets the extra feedstock used.  And of course this "value" depends on the value of the feedstock as well.  The lower the cost of the feedstock, the lower the value of the charcoal has to be in order to make economic sense.

I know of a case where farmers make charcoal in their stoves which is then collected by the stove suppliers.  I believe it is bought back.  Part of the charcoal is returned to the farmers for cooking and part is returned, mixed with compost, as a soil amendment for the kitchen gardens.  As the farmers experience for themselves the value of the charcoal enriched soil amendment, ie better yields, they start to ask for more soil amendment and less charcoal for cooking.  Interesting what direct personal experience can accomplish.

So in the end, it is all about the total value proposition of the entire system.  There are many in the US who argue that well made biochar is worth a good deal more than the thermal energy produced in its creation.  Hence they have no  economic problem with simply flaring off the pyrolytic gases produced as they make their biochar.  Personally, I prefer to make full use of both the gas and the carbon.

As for the value of the biochar, I know of one producer in California who sells all he can make, a lot, for over $1,500 per ton.  He offered to buy all I could make for $600 per ton, no questions asked.

I am sure conditions in Central Java are rather different, but this is a most interesting conversation.

Thanks,

Jock