[Stoves] The Art of Using Grass Bundles in TLUD Stoves

Lanny Henson lannych at bellsouth.net
Tue Apr 9 17:34:22 CDT 2013

Julien,

Thanks for the photos I did not see them before my first comment.

I believe you best chance is to let the primary and secondary air come
through the same hole through the bottom of the drum.
If the bottom hole is large enough aprox 6 or 8" and you top light it, I
think enough oxygen will get to the top without reacting with the straw, to
give you a clean burn. Also do not use the lid, the rising column of gas/
fire will pull the smoke  from the whole surface to the center fire.

With a typical TLUD configuration ( primary combustion burning down through
the fuel bed and secondary air across the top)  it is not going to be easy
to get the secondary air at the top of the drum to move across the fuel bed
to mix and react with the gases, because of a lack of draft. If you set a
second or third drum on top. then you may be able to move enough secondary
air across the top in a typical TLUD configuration.

One thing about straw is that it gives up its moisture real fast which
displace the oxygen.

TLUDs handle moist fuel better than bottom lit designs (if there is such a
design) because top lit designs vaporizes the moisture in the fuel a little
at a time as the fire burns down through the fuel bed. When bottom lighting
a fire, the moisture of all the fuel has to dry to the point that it will
burn.

Lanny