[Stoves] Commercial purposes in homes was Re: Biomass Fired Appliance Characteristics, Features, Qualities, Attributes and or Considerations

Frank Shields frank at compostlab.com
Wed Apr 10 13:21:58 CDT 2013

Dear Cecil, Stovers,

All this is very complex as you mention. I am trying to decide if it is too
complex to be able to get a handle on all the variables to approach in
detailed analysis. If it is too complex we would need to approach this as a
'Natural System' approach.  In the NS approach we simply distribute stoves
and see what happens, record that and pick the best. I prefer trying to
control the variables for detailed analysis and think the Tool Box approach
would work very well in doing this - if it can be done at all.

Another point: I think we need a different word other than Efficiency now
that we are considering making and using char after the gasses have been
used for cooking/heating tasks. The word efficiency is what we want but
gives the idea of good or bad to most readers and, if we are not yet
finished with using the fuel (going to use the char later for something
else) we will devalue a stove when the efficiency has been calculated on the
stove part alone. Perhaps use 'Percent energy used' during a task. I like
Crispins idea of keeping track of the energy. This in (1) what remains and
that (2) used in preforming the task and that (3) wasted. This will require
good test methods most likely in a lab that simulates a real-world
situation. The energy remaining (char) is then monitored in the next use.

And Cecil, Thanks for the describing the procedure for collecting the nectar
and making sugar from it. Very interesting to an arm chair traveler. I had
no idea this was being done.

Thanks

Frank

Frank Shields