[Stoves] More on the Alternatives to Charcoal.

rongretlarson at comcast.net rongretlarson at comcast.net
Sat Apr 13 23:37:55 CDT 2013

List :

1. This is to keep alive this dialog between a few of us on the question of char and sustainability for a bit longer - until Paul's full (25MB??) PPt is placed up on the stoves site by Tom MIles. Paul was kind enough to independently send me a copy (and I can send to others - but think that the full PPt will soon be up.)

2. Paul's Slide # 5 has this sentence which sets the tone for his reason for preparing the PPt :
" In Kenya 2006, biomass demand was estimated at 38.1 million tonnes against a sustainable supply of 15.4 million tonnes, creating a demand-supply deficit of 60 percent. "
Whew - the most damning statistic I have seen.

3. Slide 20: This is to ask Paul to help explain this slide. The obvious decrease in forest size is his (and my) main criterion. But I am not sure how to get numerical estimates here as the ordinate is in relative distance, not forest area units. Paul - Your help??

4. Paul is consuming the char, not using it as biochar. The latter will obviously initially require more land (probably almost twice as much) - but this disparity rapidly disappears if soil productivity improves. That discussion is beyond the scope of this message, but the Terra Preta soils in Brazil are now 2 and 3 times more annually productive. It will not take many years for the average response to make up for the placement of char in soil to overcome the apparent (but I believe incorrect) preference of some for combustion over pyrolysis alone.

5. Slide 21 shows pellets having a transport cost only slightly more for pellets over improved charcoal, but only 60% as much for traditional char production (Paul's distance assumed not known by me for this slide). This is the slide I said disproved Crispin's assertions on the relative cost of transport. To understand when this is true we need Paul's distance assumption.

6. Slide 22: charcoal about 120 kg/m3 and 3.3 GJ/m3 (ratio meaning PM is using 3300 MJ/120 kg = 27.5 MJ/kg )
pellets about 600 kg/m3 and 10 GJ/m3 (similarly, 10,000/600 = 16.7 MJ/kg)

These (my reading from graphs - not Paul's) are very close to Crispin's values.
Paul's emphasis is on volumes - with a factor of three in favor of pellet energy and five in terms of pellet weight. I hope Crispin can respond further on the importance of volumes rather than weights - using ratios like these..

7. A few inserts below: