[Stoves] More on the Alternatives to Charcoal.

Lanny Henson lannych at bellsouth.net
Tue Apr 16 17:28:35 CDT 2013

I like what you are doing!

Wood sawed to 4 cm slices for household size stoves and

15 cm slices for large commercial cookers, can easily be split to a size that will work for most any stove design other than stick feed designs.

You could cut all that wood the photo on page 5 into slices with a cross cut saw. A good sharp cross cut saw will perform well compared with a gas chain saw.

Like you said wood cut to size make a lot of difference to efficiency in a good stove. It should make a difference to the price. A local wood dealer could buy larger wood and saw it to size.

A lot of efficiency is lost because, a too large a fire, is necessary to maintain flaming combustion, a fire too large to be most efficient at delivering heat to the pot. So Crispin P. said from my notes.

Charcoal is expensive, wood should be able to compete if there are good clean burning stoves to burn that wood.

Lanny Henson