[Stoves] Last? Alternative to Charcoal

LANNY & ANNETTE HENSON lannych at bellsouth.net
Sat Apr 20 16:03:01 CDT 2013

Charcoal will burn at a very slow rate and wood has to burn at a larger rate to
maintain flaming combustion.
So for low and slow like for simmering, charcoal could be more efficient even
considering all the energy wasted making the charcoal from wood.

Using wood for the high power phase of cooking like bringing a pot to boil and
then using the charcoal made from the wood for low power cooking like for
simmering or holding food hot just seems to fall into place.
I believe it was Crispin that said that a lot of efficiency is lost because the
fuel wood is a size that required a too large a fire to maintain flaming
combustion. A fire too large to be most efficient at capturing the heat with a
pot.