[Stoves] Biochar is making its way into the oceans, apparently

Crispin Pemberton-Pigott crispinpigott at gmail.com
Sat Apr 20 17:55:01 CDT 2013

Dear Friends of Biochar

This will probably be of interest. I am posting here because of the biochar
enthusiasm and because I am not subscribed to any biochar lists.

+++++++

Copied from

http://wattsupwiththat.com/2013/04/19/something-else-to-worry-about-carbon-i
n-the-water/#more-84542

“
According to the authors, the results imply that greater consideration
must be given to carbon sequestration techniques (the process of capture and
long-term storage of atmospheric carbon dioxide). Biochar addition to soils
is one such technique. Biochar technology is based on vegetation-derived
charcoal that is added to agricultural soils as a means to store carbon.

Although promising in storing carbon, Jaffé points out that as more people
implement biochar technology, they must take into consideration the
potential dissolution of the charcoal to ensure these techniques are
actually environmentally friendly.

Jaffé and Dittmar agree that there are still many unknowns when it comes to
the environmental fate of charcoal, and both plan to move on to the next
phase of the research. They have proven where the charcoal goes. Next, they
want to answer how this happens and what the environmental consequences are.

The better scientists can understand the processes and the environmental
factors controlling it, the better the chance of developing strategies for
carbon sequestration and help mitigate climate change.”

Source: http://www.mpg.de/7112434/charcoal_oceans