[Stoves] FW: REQUEST for complete sets of raw data of cookstove tests.

Crispin Pemberton-Pigott crispinpigott at gmail.com
Mon Apr 22 09:47:51 CDT 2013

Dear Jim and Anyone watching

I won't have time to dig through the messages on this thread that were in
limbo. If something is really important to someone, ask again.

With regard to the char remaining and the wood that has been burned on one
end (fuel left over from tests) Harold Annegarn and I have a proposal for
how to deal with stoves that can use fuel remaining from a previous burn. In
principle, the test should be started with the fuel left over from a
previous test. In other words a cooking task that is replicated a number of
times in which the fuel left over goes into the stove for the subsequent
task provides an opportunity to measure (quite accurately) the raw fuel
drawn from the pile.

Any charcoal that is not being discarded and all partially burned, dried,
blackened stoves that are claimed to be useable fuel, not discarded, should
be used. If new fuel is needed (which it will be) then that new fuel is raw
fuel.  It becomes quite a simple matter to measure how much new fuel is
required for each identical replication of a task.

The issue is discussed in the attached document in '1. Replications'.

A number of definitions are provided in the subsequent sections that are
useful for discussing tests and efficiencies.

Importantly, if a stove cannot use any of the fuel remaining (an example
might be a TLUD wood burner that makes a high % of char) the energy in the
remaining fuel cannot legitimately be counted as cooking fuel - because it
can't be used in that stove for cooking.

It then becomes and easy matter to determine the raw fuel consumption per
cycle for that task.