[Stoves] FW: REQUEST for complete sets of raw data ofcookstovetests.

Kevin kchisholm at ca.inter.net
Wed Apr 24 09:31:29 CDT 2013

Ron
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: rongretlarson at comcast.net
  To: Discussion of biomass cooking stoves ; Kevin Chisholm
  Cc: jetter jim
  Sent: Wednesday, April 24, 2013 7:49 AM
  Subject: Re: [Stoves] FW: REQUEST for complete sets of raw data ofcookstovetests.

  Kevin:

     1.  All of your analysis below is faulty because you are basing it all on the 2nd faulty strawman  proposition given in your series of queries on the 22nd.  (The other questions,  I would of course answer "Yes" -  No one on this list has ever proposed mandating a specific stove type.)

  # I would have to disagree with you here. You yourself are asking Jim to modify his proposed stove testing protocol to show "Char making stoves" in a more favourable light!

   You asked me on the 22nd:

    "2: If you agree with those basic definitions, would you not agree that a device attempting to do "2 jobs in one" cannot do either job as efficiently or effectively as if the device was designed to do "one job the best?"

      2.  The answer here is possibly also always yes, but it is the wrong question for anyone (repeat anyone) to be using.

  # I agree with you that the correct answer to my question is "Possibly yes", but would suggest that an even better answer is "Yes". In all my years of designing stuff, I have always found that I had to make "design sacrifices" in some areas in order to get an "optimal design." However, I would have to disagree with you about it being the wrong question. The only way that it could be wrong is if EVERYONE had the same "Stove circumstances".
  For example:
  * Portability or not.
  * Efficient or not
  * Electric power available or not
  * Flue permissable or not
  * Low first cost or not
  * Appearance important or not
  * Collapsibility for ease of shipment or not.
  * Low emissions or not
  * Space heating or not
  * Oven or not
  * Simmering feature or not.
  * Multiple pot cooking
  * Stable or not
  * Children consideratiions or not
  * "Hold fire characteristics" important or not.
  * Griddle or not
  * Direct or indirect contact of pot with source of heat
  * View of fire or not
  * Need I go on or not?

  Clearly, when designing a stove, one must strive to maximize the features of greatest interest and importance to the Stove Customer.

   One better question for most stove purchasers is what costs the least (in a life cycle sense - including more than first cost)?

  # That is one of many considerations. It is not a "better question."

    More likely it will involve half a dozen decision criteria, including questions of time saved, health impacts, mental satisfaction because a unit looks good, is safer to use, a moral obligation to help the environment, save forests, remove atmospheric CO2, etc, etc.

  # Good points!! You can add them to the above list of "Stove Circumstances."

   This list gets longer the more you consider non-purchaser externalities like global warming.  GACC and Jetter must consider those.

  # Agreed.

    You may be the only one on this list who propounds the theory that a stove testing report should be based only (repeat only) on how little fuel can be used to boil 5 liters of water - with zero consideration on char.

  # I have to disagree with you again, in that I never said that either. What I am advocating is "Lets at least set up a "Stove Testing Protocol" that gives scientifically correct answers." Please understand my position before you tell others what it is.

     3.  Many of us have been promoting char-making stoves for individual (not societal) non-energy reasons that you also state need not be considered
         -  able to save money through sale or use of the char
         -  save time and money by using closer non-wood fuels
         -  cleaner kitchen (and neighborhood outdoor-air) environment, so lower health-related costs
         -  save time by less fire tending

  # I think it is about time for you to make a Public Retraction. Please show the List where I said that the above factors do not need to be considered, or retract your erroneous statement.
  I would comment that I have supported Paul Oliver with his Proposal to utilize char making stoves in Vietnam. I am 100% supportive of the use of char making stoves where they are appropriate and where the Customer wants them. Equally, I am 100% against char making stoves where they are inappropriate and when they do not best serve the Customer's needs.
  I await your Public Retraction of your erroneous statement..

     4.  Giving a user a new char-based efficiency number in addition to the standard stove efficiency number hardly seems earth shattering.

  # You may wish to change that term to "Char Based Inefficiency", in that any well designed stove system producing char, or unburned fuel, is inherently less efficient than any well designed stove system that burns the fuel to completion and that does not produce char.
  .

     5.   To show some examples of where your single motivation theory goes wrong:

  # Could you please clarify what you feel is my "single motivation"?

        a.   I could buy one cell phone, I-Pad, etc or three - each of which is a little faster or cheaper for doing computations, communicating, or writing text.  Combining multiple functions in one device wins for most of us.

  # What about the Customer who only wants a Calculator? "Different strokes for different Customer Folks."

        b.   I can build large electric power plants and separate thermal units, each of which are more efficient than the now increasingly popular (and overall cheaper) CHP (combined heat and power) units.  There is also literature on CHPB, with B for biochar.  Some governmental jurisdictions are mandating the multiple function, less wasteful energy approach.  We are talking themodynamcs here- minimizing waste  (especially in the production of char in the boondocks).

  # Thermodynamics is about energ flows. Thermodynamics is about efficiency. Your statement about "minimizing waste is very ambiguous... are you talking about waste, in teh sense of heat that can be recovered from existing thermodynamic processes, OR are you talking about so-called "wastes as a source of energy", as in sawdust, rice husks, etc?

        c.  I can store and retrieve electric energy from plug in electric vehicles for grid backup - or build large (single-purpose) pumped hydro or large central battery storage.  The former multi-battery-use approach is projected to save a lot of money.

  # ? How does this relate to "Stove Testing"?

      6.  So I don't see any need to comment on anything you wrote below.

  # Hopefully, others will get value from the comments below.

   Especially when all I was doing was agreeing with Jim Jetter. - in EVERY step he outlined.

  # I would draw your attention to:
  (Jim) " I’m not in favor of doing this, because, while there is a common denominator, I think the numerators are like apples and oranges – cooking (useful) energy and fuel (stored) energy.
     [RWL6:   I agree they are apples and oranges.  But sometimes the question is asked  -  how much "fruit" do you have  and in this example the answer is certainly E4 = 0.5.   As long as the number "E3=0.2" is given a little prominence, I don't care if the number  E4 = 0.5 is also given.  I expect promotional char-makers will be using both E3 and E4, of course. "
  # and
  "     [RWL7:   I have no problem with this, which we can call E5.  What I would object to is always trying to put the char back in the same stove where it was made.  Or if that is somehow mandated, at least also do a "best" different char-using stove as well, for what we call E5.   Call the char combustion  in the same (non-optimum) stove combination E6. That is apt to be in your example about E6=(3+0.5)/10=0.35]
       I defend being able to combine apples (carbon neutrality) and oranges (carbon negativity) because they are at least equally important   (I am leaning towards oranges). "

  # It does not look like you and Jim are on agreement on this point.

  # Or this point either:
  " (Jim) - Thermal efficiency for the “discarded” char scenario
     [RWL9:  E2.   Fine.  It helps to compare with and note there is an E3.   For sure, the char-producing stove people will not want this called "discarded".  How about "cookpot-only"?]  "

  In closing, I would appreciate your retraction, as requested above. It is bad form to bad mouth people irresponsibly.

  Kevin

  Ron