[Stoves] Energy / fuel / biochar DATA from Kenya Re: FW: REQUEST for complete sets of raw data of cookstove tests.

Paul Anderson psanders at ilstu.edu
Wed Apr 24 13:27:46 CDT 2013

Dear Stovers who want truth in reporting about stove efficiency.

The title and abstract below seem to be a good example to illustrate
what happens when stoves can use fuels other than wood and can produce
charcoal (for burning or for biochar).

This is not my data, and not my stove design.   How do we get this type
of "stove IMPACT" included into stove testing?   I think the word IMPACT
can carry the same weight as efficiency.   "ENERGY efficiency" should be
reported.    "Fuel impact" might be an additional result to report.

Paul

> "Biomass availability, energy consumption and biochar production in
> rural households of Western Kenya"
> _Biomass and Bioenergy_ Vol 35 (2011) pp.3537-3546
> Dorisel Torres-Rojas a, Johannes Lehmann a,*, Peter Hobbs a, Stephen
> Joseph b,
> Henry Neufeldt c
> a Department of Crop and Soil Sciences, Cornell University, 9090
> Bradfield Hall, Ithaca, NY 14853, USA
> b University of South Wales, NSW 2052, Australia
> c World Agroforestry Center (ICRAF), Nairobi, Kenya
>
> Abstract
> Pyrolytic cook stoves in smallholder farms may require different
> biomass supply than
> traditional bioenergy approaches. Therefore, we carried out an on-farm
> assessment of the
> energy consumption for food preparation, the biomass availability
> relevant to conventional
> and pyrolytic cook stoves, and the potential biochar generation in
> rural households of
> western Kenya. Biomass availability for pyrolysis varied widely from
> 0.7 to 12.4 Mg ha1 y1
> with an average of 4.3 Mg ha1 y1, across all 50 studied farms. Farms
> with high soil fertility
> that were recently converted to agriculture from forest had the
> highest variability
> (CV ¼ 83%), which was a result of the wide range of farm sizes and
> feedstock types in the
> farms. Biomass variability was two times lower for farms with low than
> high soil fertility
> (CV ¼ 37%). The reduction in variability is a direct consequence of
> the soil quality, coupled
> with farm size and feedstock type. The total wood energy available in
> the farms (5.3 GJ
> capita1 y1) was not sufficient to meet the current cooking energy
> needs using conventional
> combustion stoves, but may be sufficient for improved combustion
> stoves depending
> on their energy efficiency. However, the biomass that is usable in
> pyrolytic cook stoves
> including crop residues, shrub and tree litter can provide 17.2 GJ
> capita1 y1 of energy for
> cooking, which is well above the current average cooking energy
> consumption of 10.5 GJ
> capita1 y1. The introduction of a first-generation pyrolytic cook
> stove reduced wood
> energy consumption by 27% while producing an average of 0.46 Mg ha-1
> y-1 of biochar.

Paul S. Anderson, PhD  aka "Dr TLUD"
Email:  psanders at ilstu.edu   Skype: paultlud  Phone: +1-309-452-7072
Website:  www.drtlud.com