[Stoves] Suggested calculations

Frank Shields frank at compostlab.com
Wed Apr 24 15:08:55 CDT 2013

Dear Stovers,

When looking at the total picture of trees (fuel) per end use I suggest two different possible approaches.

ONE

The tree chips have 40% carbon and we use a total of 100 kg of chips in a TLUD stove. We start with 40 kg of carbon. We boil water then steam rice and have left 30 kg of carbon in the char left so using 10 kg of carbon ( 25 kg of tree) in the process.

The 30 kg carbon left is char chips and we use that for heating food as a street vender. At the end of the day we take home 10 kg carbon to add to our soil. So 20 kg carbon (50 kg tree) used for heating and 10 kg carbon (25 kg tree) for the soil.

We start with 100 kg tree.

25 kg tree used for boiling water

50 kg tree for heating street food

25 kg tree for garden.

 = 100 % total tree

We do not follow energy but follow the fuel (in this case the tree).

TWO

Same problem:

To boil the water it took 100 kg of tree

To get the 20 kg of char for the street vender we would need to have 50 kg tree to make the char to do that job.

To get the 10 kg char to add to the soil we would need 25 kg of tree to make the char for that garden.

That’s a sum of (100+50+25)= 175 kg of tree. But we only used 100 by combining the processes so we have saved 75 kg of tree (or 43% of the forest) by combining uses.

I think I like the second method better to illustrate the savings when piggy backing the uses of fuel but still thinking about it.

Thanks

Frank

Thanks

Frank Shields