[Stoves] wood: air dry, damp, moist and too wet to burn

Crispin Pemberton-Pigott crispinpigott at gmail.com
Sat Apr 27 08:57:45 CDT 2013

Dear Lanny

Unfortunately the answer to your (very reasonable) question is dependent on the excess air present in the combustion chamber and the amount of preheat the primary air is given.

Once the fire is running (with the help of a small quantity of starter fuel, for example) the preheating of primary air can maintain a burn that is impossible for an open fire (through heat recycling). If you put in very dry fuel ithout controlling the preheating, it goes into thermal runaway making excessive gas + charcoal.

Most TLUD stoves have a certain moisture range in which they work well, usually quite by accident. When stepping outside that range they either work poorly, or make massive, unburnable quantities of gas.

This problem exemplifies the importance of having controllable air.

Regards
Crispin in Palo Alto

PS Frank, I can see your house from here!