[Stoves] Four quandrant stove matrix

Paul Olivier paul.olivier at esrla.com
Tue Apr 30 19:27:00 CDT 2013

Jonathan,

You make a good point in distinguishing between yellow and blue flame units.

If biomass stoves put out a flame that resembles that of a bottled gas
stove, this should make a difference in their acceptability.

If rich people use biomass stoves in the setting of a modern kitchen, this
should make a difference in their acceptability to the poor.

If a biomass stove is constructed out of long-lasting, high-resistant
stainless steel, this should make a big difference in its perception as
must-have cooking apparatus by rich and poor alike.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/22013094/150%20Gasifier/Pic/IMG_1491.JPG

Finally, if a biomass stove produces biochar and if this biochar is
perceived as having value, this should make the stove attractive to the
poor. They can earn money each time the stove is used.

Thanks.
Paul

On Wed, May 1, 2013 at 5:25 AM, Jonathan P Gill <jg45 at me.com> wrote:
> Stovers,
>
> I think stoves can be organized into one of four quadrants.
>
> Top two quadrants are Pyrolytic.  Bottom two quadrants are Combustion.
>
> Upper left and lower left are "yellow flame" units.
>
> Top right and Bottom right are "Blue flame" units.
>
> Of course this leaves other dimensions out, but ...
>
> The point is that people in the so called 1st world do NOT cook over
yellow
> flames.  So why should we expect less economically advantage people would
> want to use yellow flame units?  Yellow flame units can too easily be seen
> as not good enough for the 1st world.  Thus they could perhaps appear to
be
> cast offs and rightly resented?
>
> I have to admit that this is a new way for me to look at this.  Like Art
> Donnelly, I resisted using fans in my iCans.  Now, like Art, I see that
fans
> could allow for some great advantages. Brother Hugh has been trying to get
> me to use fans for a long time.  So hats off to brother Hugh as well as to
> Prof. Bolinio and Paul Olivier, who has created some very interesting
> extensions to the Bolinio stove from 2005.
>
> I hope to have some news about fan powered iCans in the next few weeks.
They
> will be somewhat different and may lead to some localization for North
> American markets.
>
> Regards,
>
> Jock
>

> Jonathan P Gill