[Stoves] The TLC burner is new and improvedtechnology inbiomass burner design.

Crispin Pemberton-Pigott crispinpigott at gmail.com
Thu Aug 1 10:52:48 CDT 2013

Dear Lanny

The hoppers are either sealed with well made metal parts (neatly cut and
welded) or they use 'stove rope'. The good method is to use a rectangular
channel and tuck the rope into it, the bad method is to use glue that no one
can find or knows how to use.

Roger Lehet is using the same stuff on his front door (Kimberly stove). Bog
standard.

The hopper does not have to be perfectly sealed. It has to have an inflow of
air slow enough to prevent auto-thermalisation of fuel that is supposed to
be heater only when it gets close to the grate. Some version of the GTZ-7
stove had a problem with overheating of the fuel (too hot too early) however
it did not actually result in emissions into the room. All the gases went
through to the fire. The disadvantage was there was a low power fire inside
the hopper (actually it was pyrolysis making coke). It was caused by not
enough thermal separation between the combustion chamber and the hopper -
easily solved.

I hope hoping to interest the fuel producers to make hard, raw coal pellets
about the size of a dried apricot half. All sorts of problems would be
addressed if that was available. For one thing it would reduce fuelling to
once per day.

Crispin,

The hopper fed coal burners sounds very interesting. I have no experience
with coal.

The thing I spent the most time on with my hopper fed charcoal smoke
roasters was the high temp access door/ cap for the top of hopper. How are
the stove developers sealing off the hoppers?

Lanny