[Stoves] Specific heat capacity/ Stove preformance data

Crispin Pemberton-Pigott crispinpigott at gmail.com
Tue Aug 13 07:30:33 CDT 2013

Dear Sarbagya

Thanks for that clarification.

Please run a test that uses the leftover char from a previous run. That represents reality. Then see if you get about the same amount of char remaining the second time.

Let's assume you do.

Then use as your triplicate three tests like that in a row. There is month need to measure the char mass until the very end.

The 'fuel consumption' is the amount of new raw fuel needed for each replication.

The char is always fed into the subsequent fire.

The energy available in the raw fuel is the energy consumption. It has to be compensated for moisture or course.

Testing in this manner is 1) easier than a WBT, 2) more accurate than a WBT, 3) closer to actual behaviour and 4) automatically deals correctly with the char energy is it is removed from the process either because it can't burn in the same stove or because it was withdrawn for other purposes. As long as there is no excessive char accumulation in subsequent tests you don't even have to weigh it or worry about its actual heat content. Either a stove can burn it or it can't and the 'consumption' is the raw fuel that has to be added for each replication - only.

I am interested to know the difference in numbers if you do this.

You should of course divide the fuel energy by the number of litres of water boiled based on the initial mass, not the final mass because missing water was of boiled (evaporated). The effect is a few %. Always express the efficiency in terms of energy in and energy transferred (work done).