[Stoves] Saving the WBT

Frank Shields frank at compostlab.com
Sun Aug 18 14:03:35 CDT 2013

Dear Crispin, and Stovers,

The model I am suggesting goes like this:

Biomass has two components: The natural volatile (NV) component and the
catalyst component.

1) Natural volatile component has all that is needed to turn into a gas
except a little heat. It has all the hydrogen and internal biomass oxygen as
well as about half the carbon. It is what is used to boil water and when
this runs out we add more biomass. It contains all the energy we use from
the fuel.

2) Catalyst is just carbon. To do anything we need to add the oxygen. Its
purpose is to provide the temperatures to release the NV, to break down the
NV from complex organic structures to simple ones (like CO and H). It heats
the stove and boils off the water(?). Its rate of reaction determines if the
energy used from the NVs will produce a dirty smoky stove or a clean,
efficient one.

3) We control the catalyst by adding oxygen in the primary. The oxygen we
add does nothing to change the energy value 'we give' to the NVs but may
change the energy value of the NV's (lower) by pre-oxygenating. It may make
the organic components more easily oxidized in the secondary creating more
heat by breaking them into smaller, more simple structures.

4) In a TLUD the catalyst remains while in the rocket the catalyst gets used
up until ash is left. Using up the catalyst can be converting it to CO2 (a
nothing) or to CO that adds to the energy of the NV. I suggest even if it
converts all the catalyst carbon to CO that that amount of added energy is
only a fraction of the energy produced from the NVs and we can ignore or
estimate.

If you think this model will work for us all we need to do is determine the
amount of energy in the Natural Volatiles and use as the total energy we get
from the fuel.

Regards

Frank

Frank Shields