[Stoves] Saving the WBT

Ronal W. Larson rongretlarson at comcast.net
Mon Aug 19 08:30:47 CDT 2013

Paul following was delayed 12 hours with computer problems

Paul  cc List

  Just  a few comments no inserts below as it is getting crowded.

1.  I am going to stay away from equivalency ratio until I see some way to use it.

2.  Diffusion flames are the norm.  Anyone besides Paul working either on the many small hole approach or on pre-mixed flames?  We need more theory (as in Bunsen Burner) on how to prevent the flame going back inside the reactor when started outside.

3.  The last video below was disappointing.  I look forward to hearing whether reducing the secondary air helps.  In separate message you thought there was no channeling, but here it seems that is possible?

Wish I could be more help.

Ron

On Aug 18, 2013, at 6:18 PM, Paul Olivier <paul.olivier at esrla.com> wrote:

> [...]
>>>
>>> This might explain why the Belonio burner with the burner housing I added to it functions reasonably well in spite of the fact that the premixing of air and gas does not take place. So little secondary air is required, the gas is hot, and the mixing takes place all along the periphery of the two off-set rings of burner holes. As the gas exits the 80 burner holes, it does so under mild pressure and sucks in air from the burner housing.
>>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=84qDsbBO9p8
>>>
>>> I have seen several rice hull gasifiers where gas exits through one large burner hole in the middle of the burner. This produces a single flame with a long diffusion tail, and the transfer of heat to the pot under such conditions cannot be optimal.
>>>
>>> So in conclusion, the process temperature within the reactor should be higher than 700 C, the moisture content of the biomass should be less than 12%, the air equivalency ratio should be about 0.3, the biomass should be sufficiently uniform, the temperature of the gas prior to combustion should be in the range of about 500 C, the gas prior to combustion should contain little CO2 and H2O, and the mixing of secondary air with gas should as thorough as possible.
>>>
>>> Thanks.
>>> Paul Olivier
>>>

>>> On Sun, Aug 18, 2013 at 12:19 AM, Ronal W. Larson <rongretlarson at comcast.net> wrote:
>>>
>>> http://www.et.byu.edu/~tom/classes/733/ReadingMaterial/Jenkins-Baxter.pdf
>>>
>>> "Stoichiometric air fuel ratios …………..for biomass they are 4 to 7,"
>>>
>>> I have seen "6" a lot, and the inverse (fuel to air weights) would be 17%

>>>          [RWL:  Alex,  thanks  _ I wasn't thinking this way.  For your moving grate design, this term  "under fuel air" makes sense.  But for TLUDs,   I believe the term "under" makes less sense, as all the O2 is used up at the pyrolysis front, regardless of its magnitude in volume per unit time.  Since it would seem that CO needs about half the oxygen as CO2  (except some O2 is coming from the biomass and we have to account for H2 going to H2O), maybe a number near half  (meaning the 30% and 60% numbers below) makes sense.  Or, maybe Paul's definition of equivalency ratio includes excess air - not stoichiometric air.  Paul - do you have a cite we can go to?

>>>       [RWL:  I am going to stay away from this, due to press of other business.  The above cite with Tom Miles as co-author might have some of this.   I think the 500 C term means at the pyrolysis front.  Would you go higher?

>>> for more Biomass Cooking Stoves,  News and Information see our web site:

>>> Dalat