[Stoves] Cutting wood down to size for batch-fueled stoves.

Lanny Henson lannych at bellsouth.net
Mon Aug 19 15:47:34 CDT 2013

Cutting wood down to size for batch-fueled stoves.

I am working on a batch-fueled residential size wood fired cooking stove,
and I have some questions about fuel size, mostly the maximum length of the
wood to fit in the batch.

Wood is "cut' one direction and "split" the other direction, so if the wood
is cut to the right length,  it can be easy to split down to the size/mass
for the stove.

So what should the maximum length of wood be for my batch-fueled residential
stove.

I know there has been some complaints about cutting wood down to the small
size necessary for batch-fueled stoves,  so the longer the pieces a stove
will burn, the better. This is one area where stick burning stoves have an
advantage over batch-fueled stoves, that is with fuel length issues.

So what would be a minimum length we can ask people to cut their wood?

What is the maximum length that a batch-fueled household stove should burn?

These questions are only about the length of the wood not the mass of the
pieces, since wood "cut" in short lengths is very easy to "split" down to
the right mass for a particular stove.

Lanny Henson