[Stoves] Excess air

rongretlarson at comcast.net rongretlarson at comcast.net
Wed Aug 21 17:28:03 CDT 2013

Crispin and list: See below

----- Original Message -----
From: "Crispin Pemberton-Pigott" <crispinpigott at gmail.com>
To: "Stoves" <stoves at lists.bioenergylists.org>
Sent: Wednesday, August 21, 2013 3:38:07 PM
Subject: Re: [Stoves] Excess air

Dear Ron

It is not about scale, it is about wrong answers. I gave real life examples of what happens when conditions are not what a formula-writer expects.
[RWL: Can you rem ind where th ose "real-life examples" are?

EA is a calculated value. If the calculation is incorrect then there is a systematic error in the reported value which would mislead the tester.
[RWL: In my world EA is much more a measured value. Who do you know in the stove world who has any idea what the airflow i s in th eir most detailed measu rements? I didn't see i t at the stove camp - calculated o r measured. I do know measured air flow is part of the few doctoral dissertations I have seen in this area.

So we should use the correct formula.
[RWL: I ag ree that one can get more deta iled in presenting measured combust ion eff ic ien cy. Requiring a prior computat i on on the fuel characteristics that go into an EA pred ict ion and then compar ison st ill seems like overkill - partly for scale reasons. But I will re-look at what you wrote if you tell me where to look. But I repeat, if you gave me the most per fect computat ion of an EA for any stove, I don't know how to use that data for improving the stove, except in a very general way. Too many interacti ons of too many parameters. I'm in favor of trusting measured values. ]
That's all.