[Stoves] DESIGNING stoves for environmental benefits Re: what causes warming deosn't matter.

Paul Anderson psanders at ilstu.edu
Thu Aug 22 20:45:26 CDT 2013

Stovers,

I can totally support the FIRST PART of what Paul Olivier wrote:

Paul S. Anderson, PhD  aka "Dr TLUD"
Email:  psanders at ilstu.edu   Skype: paultlud  Phone: +1-309-452-7072
Website:  www.drtlud.com

On 8/22/2013 5:36 PM, Paul Olivier wrote:
> No one denies that designing stoves that impact human health in a
> positive manner is important. But if we can design stoves that meet
> goals relating to human health _and _the environment, then it makes
> sense to do so. And it make sense to discuss the design of such stoves
> on this stove list.
However, this Stoves Listserv is NOT for discussion / debate /
evangelizing about what are or are not those environmental issues and
their causes.   Please take that discussion elsewhere.

BUT please DO DISCUSS  the DESIGN issues.   There has been precious
little of discussion about DESIGN.

Also note that there are so very many different environmental situations
(environments) that different designs could be beneficial in one setting
and be NOT relevant in another and perhaps even be detrimental in some
other context.

An example could be where humid-climate wetlands produce abundant
reed/papyrus fuels (that can be harvested sustainably) in contrast with
a semi-arid environment where the few wetlands need to be protected from
reed-cutters.   So a reed-burning stove could be good in one place but
undesirable in the other place.   So let's design great reed-burning
stoves but not expect them to be adopted everywhere.   And design stoves
for semi-arid environments so that there is no need to cut the precious
reeds.

The last time I commented on the need to stay on Listserv topic (stove
design and use), I lost a good friend who read my comments as an attack
on the importance of environmental issues.   Sorry about that.   Maybe I
can reestablish productive dialog.   But all should note that  I am just
trying to say (and to agree with the list moderators and many other
readers) that we need to discuss stove DESIGN and USE topics.

Paul A.