[Stoves] Role of secondary air on wood burning and charcoal stoves

Crispin Pemberton-Pigott crispinpigott at gmail.com
Fri Aug 23 16:21:53 CDT 2013

Dear Jed

I am preparing an answer for you about your holey roket stove but I am just
finishing a protocol document. Please bear with me. I will give you some
ideas about what you can do without instruments. Do you have a
thermometer/thermocouple that will go to 999°C?

Thanks
Crispin

Sent: Thursday, August 22, 2013 4:33 PM

Dear Sarbagya, Crispin and Ron

Jed here from the Philippines.

Could you please take a look at my attempt..... the holey roket as a char
making stove.  I thought i designed the holes to make a flow of secondary
air in the roket stove. There are eight holes by the elbow, a little above
the height of the fuel feeder. One hole is directly poking opposite the fuel
feeder to reduce the stress of the high intensity flame on the stove wall
(as Crispin advised me before)I made the holes to follow a co centric circle
to make the secondary air twist. The stove wall is 3 cm thick and so the
incoming air  would go about 6 cm through.  I thought this would add to the
pre heating of the incoming air, to compensate for the absence of a double
wall. And then to make the flame twist in the same manner as the fins of
those from the designs of the recho roket would.

And so i observed that the flame twists and very clean, yellow with blue
streaks shooting off from the holes. Please see  the attached pdf file.

Is this already the pre heated secondary air at work?

My limitation is that i do not have instruments to verify all these
observations. Perhaps your opinion could help for the meantime.