[Stoves] Use of rebars in cookstoves

Sarbagya R. Tuladhar sarbagya007 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 26 02:34:12 CDT 2013

Hi stovers,

Many cookstoves are using cylindrical rebars for the fuel grate. It is a cheap alternative to cast iron or steel. Does any one have data on how long the rebars would last under normal charcoal/wood burning conditions subjected to 1000 degree C ? Also how does the thickness of the rebars relate to the durability ? I have been looking at black rebars and galvanised which are relatively cheap compared to the FRP rebars. The FRP rebars are anti-corrosive and have a thermal expansion coefficient of nearly zero which would be ideal for the cookstoves. However, it does not seem to be economically feasible in case we are trying to lower the production costs of the stove. So in case we go for the cheapest option of black rebars how long would it last before it becomes unusable ?

Cheers

Sarbagya Tuladhar