[Stoves] Lower PM in TLUDs than in stoves with fans

Paul Anderson psanders at ilstu.edu
Thu Aug 29 20:35:37 CDT 2013

Stovers,       (and sent to my www.drtlud.com   Webmaster who can place
this on my website, but comments will be answered via the Stoves Listserv.)

On 8/28/2013 10:56 PM, Dean Still wrote:

> Jim Jetter reports that a TLUD can have fewer fine particles compared
> to fan stoves. We're finding the same thing.

It is time to get serious about how TLUD stoves have superior
performance.   Finally we are getting lab testing data.   Well, not
really.   We are getting "statements" but the data sets are not being
presented to us.   That is okay.   We can wait for Dean and Jim and ALL
OTHER STOVE TESTING CENTERS to provide some data. Let's just use the
above statement as the basis for my comments here.

1.  "Fan stoves" is a BAD name.   Any stove with a fan can be a "fan
stove".   What Jim and Dean are discussing are stoves that include
Oorja, Biolite (two models?), Philips, Reed Woodgas Campstove, maybe
some units from China.   At least THREE different combustion regimes are
included in the above named stoves.   But Who knows which ones they are
talking about?   THEY know, but protocols etc are preventing the data
results from being given, even with or without the names of which
stoves.   But we do know that they have fans. But so do some other stoves.

2.  "Stoves with fans" is also not sufficiently specific, but at least
they could be recognized for what they are, which is, stoves of
different types that have fans.

A.  They could be "Rocket stoves with fans" as in the Biolite Home stove
and maybe something (prototypes perhaps?) from Envirofit or Stove Tec.

B.  They could be "Fan-jet stoves with fans" (or some other name, but
this is what I have called them for several years).   These are stoves
with intense, forceful mixing of air deep into the fuel chamber.   These
include the Biolite Campstove, Philips stove, the WorldStove Lucia-FA
(forced air), and the Turbococina of El Salvador.   These are (perhaps)
related to pellet-stoves as sold in North America in which the intensity
of the jets of air consume small quantities of pellet fuels in a small
cup-type combustion chamber.   For sure these are NOT TLUD stoves.  They
can well be micro-gasifier stoves.   They can certainly be highly
regarded. But they are not the only stoves with fans.   And to call them
"fan stoves" is unclear and unfair to the other types of stoves that can
have fans.

C.  They could be "Simple Improved Cookstoves - ICS - with fans".
Something like a bucket-stove with a fan blowing onto the flaming fuel.
   No examples come to mind, but add a fan and have a "fan stove."

D.  They could be "TLUD stoves with fans".   Yes, TLUD stoves can be
operated with fans.   The opening statement is referring to natural
draft TLUD-ND having less  PM than TLUD-FA.     TLUD-FA stoves include
the Reed Woodgas Campstove, the Oorja stove, the Belonio/Olivier rice
husk gasifiers, McLaughlin's Joy-to-the-World, and my 2004 prototype
"Juntos B"  (which is described in the 2004 paper   "Biomass
Gasification: Clean Residential Stoves, Commercial Power Generation, and
Global Impacts (available at
http://www.drtlud.com/resources/publications-and-multimedia/psa-catalogue/
).   And there are probably other TLUD-FA units.

3.  So, one study that needs to be done is to compare the PM from
TLUD-ND and TLUD-FA.   Do such results already exist?    Do we need to
wait very long for these results?   I ask these questions to those who
have the capabilities and the financial resources to conduct those
tests.    You know who you are.   Ongoing budgets and some major grants
have been given for capabilities to conduct these types of tests.   And
it is not just EPA and Aprovecho who get such funding.   But some grants
prevent the dissemination of results until much later.

4.  BUT.   Yes, there is a BIG BUT to be considered.   This is because
TLUD-FA (those with fans) have been blatantly mis-used and the test
results could be erroneous because the test was not stopped when the
TLUD pyrolysis process stopped, which is when the bottom burning of char
started and continued as long as operators were feeding in raw fuel at
the top.

I repeat:  the TLUD testing needs to be _/stopped when the TLUD
pyrolysis process stopped, which is when the bottom burning of char
started and continued as long as operators were feeding in raw fuel at
the top. /_

[[   I have already prepared a short document about this and will post
it soon. ]]

In conclusion, let's get our understanding clear that the addition of a
fan to a stove does NOT automatically put that stove into the Tier 3 and
Tier 4 categories of low PM emissions.   FIRST think of what kind of
combustion the stove utilizes:   simple ICS, Rocket, TLUD, other
micro-gasification, other ....    THEN consider if it has a fan in it.

In biology, first the animal type, and then if it flies or not: Birds
fly (but not all of them);   Many insects fly;   some pre-historic
reptiles could fly;   and some mammals (bats) can fly.   Flying is
important, but Phyla is more important.   Fans are important, but not
more important than the combustion regime.

STATEMENT:  I believe that the TLUD stoves (whether ND or FA) are
cleaner about PM than the other combustion regimes because the process
of pyrolysis leaves the inert materials (non-combustibles known as ash)
held tightly to the charcoal that is created.   So, do NOT burn the
charcoal.   Especially do not burn it with vigorous streams of air at
the level of the charcoal.   [And there are probably additional
variables to be studied.]

This hypothesis remains to be proven.   But while we wait for the test
results, money will be channeled to other stove technologies, field
tests of health will be conducted withOUT having a TLUD stove included
in the study, and people will continue to suffer (and some will die)
because of the high PM levels in household cookstoves.  It is late 2013
and studies of TLUD stoves are only scratching the surface of what
things need to be studied.

Oh well, better this progress than less progress.   And all of the TLUD
enthusiasts are certainly willing and eager to join into any and all
efforts.

Paul

Paul S. Anderson, PhD  aka "Dr TLUD"
Email:  psanders at ilstu.edu   Skype: paultlud  Phone: +1-309-452-7072