[Stoves] Marketing, promotion, awareness cost for stoves

Jan Sørensen j.sorensen at newenergysystems.no
Thu Dec 5 06:17:38 CST 2013

Stovers,

This is way overdue on my part as I have been asked by Paul A. to repost
some comments that we had in an off-list discussion-round between Paul
A, Nolbert, Manena and others on: marketing cost; stove promotion costs;
stove awareness cost in Africa. In the discussion I brought forward cost
figures from a project initiated by Shell Foundation, that is the "Room
to Breathe project".

Shell Foundation set up in 2008 the project to estimate cost on stove
promotional activities in the Shimoga district, Karnataka, India. The
aim was to sell one additional stove at a campaign cost of USD 5,75. I
become aware of the project as the report from the project was
distributed in hardcover at the recent Phnom Penh conference.  You will
find the report at:
http://blogs.washplus.org/iaqupdates/2013/05/social-marketing-in-india-lessons-learned-from-efforts-to-foster-demand-for-cleaner-cookstoves/

On page 19 in the report there is a table summarizing marketing,
promotion, awareness costs. One will probably have to read the full
report to understand the context of the table, but for the sake of the
mentioned discussion, I summarized some of the elements in the table
below. I asked the discussion members on their view on comparative
figures for the regions where they operate in Africa.

Although the cost figures are from a pilotproject, one would assume that
in real life they would come down. The cost figures seem very high to
me. One conclusion from the report was that the pilot project was not
able to establish a campaign cost at USD 5.75 for sale of one additional
stove.

Jan

Marketing
level

Approach

Activity

Metric

*Sales*

*(stoves)*

Cost per reach

(USD)

Cost per stove sale

(USD)

“Room to Breathe” project”,

Low intensity marketing level

Static

Static wall paintings

600 sq. feet in small villages, 1000 sq. feet in medium and 3,000 sq.
feet in larger villages

Not available

Not available

Not availab.

“Sustained Activist Householder”
SAH

Door to door

15 house per day in three months (20 days per month) Multiple visits to
households. To reach an economic viable marketing cost level of USD 5.75
per stove, the SAH would need to sell 50 stoves per month or 2.5 per
working day.

331

0.37

92

Vans

Mobile awareness campaign covering a large geographic area where
villagers engaged in games and activities. Promotional material was left
with households explaining where they could purchase a stove. Stoves
were also sold directly through during the activity.

110 visits over a 4 month period)

2,512

0.59

21

Market activities

Campaign staff would raise awareness and promote stoves in weekly
markets across Shimoga

1,058

0.62

21