[Stoves] ASABE article on REAP's Improved Cookstove Program

Crispin Pemberton-Pigott crispinpigott at gmail.com
Fri Dec 13 13:57:28 CST 2013

Dear Roger

What a good portrayal of the two stoves. It is immediately noticeable that
the pots used in the larger families are huge. We face the same situation
for Sumba Island where people boil 20 litres of water at a time. The pots
are enormous.

The Noflay Stove looks strong. I can suggest from the experience we have
been having with the Keren Stove tilted grate that it would benefit the
stove to add as an option a removable grate that is higher at the back and
low at the front, with primary air admitted to the space underneath from
behind. Given the stove's apparent power, I suggest the opening be 60 x 40
mm with no restrictions. The grate bar spacing is important - about 5mm,
maybe a little less (4mm). The result of doing so is very little charcoal,
if any, and a pretty clean burn because of a higher temperature.

I have a couple of photos of the grate that was successful in the Keren
stove if you want one.

Hi all

Please find below a link to an article written about the REAP Clay Brick
Stove and Mayon Turbo Stove featuring REAP renewable energy intern Rebecca
Chin in the November-December magazine of the American Society of
Agricultural and Biological Engineers (ASABE)

http://bt.e-ditionsbyfry.com/publication/?i=180480
<http://bt.e-ditionsbyfry.com/publication/?i=180480&p=4> &p=4

best regards

Roger Samson