[Stoves] AUTOCHAR VS CLASSICAL CHARCOAL PYROLYSIS

Tom Reed tombreed2010 at gmail.com
Tue Dec 17 12:22:19 CST 2013

Dear Otto and All

Moving into the 21st Century:

AUTOCHAR VS CLASSICAL CHARCOAL PYROLYSIS

Classical charcoal making requires external heating of a charge of wood isolated in an internal vessel.

The outer vessel heats (and mostly dries) the internal biomass to about 300C, at which temperature the reaction to charcoal becomes  exothermic and the charcoal heats itself to 400-450C.  It is not necessary for the kiln to be heated beyond ~ 300-350 C to get full conversion to LOW temperature charcoal, with lots of volatiles remaining.  Probably the easiest charcoal to light, but may be smokier.

This method leaves a LOT of the volatiles in the wood.

AUTOCHARING originated in the Toplit updraft stove developed by the Biomass Energy Foundation in 1985.