[Stoves] At what temperature are the bad gases from zinc created, vs harmless zinc oxide?

Lanny Henson lannych at bellsouth.net
Fri Feb 1 16:10:37 CST 2013

Hey Paul,

Like Hugh said don't worry about it. If zinc fumes were as toxic as most people think I would have been dead 20 years ago. I have literally welded miles of galvanized duct. I avoid the fumes of course.

It is not good to breath any welding fumes. The best way to vent a welders space is to set up a small fan from one side to the other, not front to back or back to front. The fan should move enough air out of the space without interfering with the welding gas. The flow should be from side to side not from behind you. From behind will create eddies and you will be eating fumes, a little welders jargon. After you have moved the fumes out of the welders space, use an exhaust hood or general room exhaust to purge the fumes out of the room.

You have to be more careful with low ceilings. If you can smell zinc fumes stop until you get the ventilation right.

I know of 3 kinds of galvanized metal, one is hot dipped another is electroplated and the newest and best one is called "Galvaneal" where the zinc is melted into an bonded with the steel.

Galvaneal will take more heat than galvanized metal and retain the zinc coating. Another benefit to this amazing metal is that it is paintable. The galvaneal that I am using is stiffer than normal galvanize and does not dent as easily, and it is easier to weld. To weld galvanized use trimix gas. You can't beat galvaneal for a stove body and other parts that are not in direct contact with fire.

I have used it in direct contact with fire without burning off the zinc as long as there is an air circulation around the burner. If you use insulation in direct contact with a metal burner it will fail much more quickly.

Lanny