[Stoves] At what temperature are the bad gases from zinc created, vs harmless zinc oxide?

Robert Fairchild solarbobky at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 1 18:25:59 CST 2013

>From my research it's not zinc fumes but zinc oxide fumes that cause "metal fume fever".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zinc_oxide  :
"...Zinc oxide itself is non-toxic; however it is hazardous to inhale zinc
oxide fumes, as generated when zinc or zinc alloys are melted and
oxidized at high temperature.... Exposure to zinc oxide in the air, which also occurs while welding galvanized (zinc plated) steel, can result in a nervous malady called metal fume fever. For this reason, typically galvanized steel is not welded, or the zinc is removed first.[88]..."

Reference 88:  http://mysite.du.edu/~jcalvert/phys/zinc.htm
"...Zinc appears in very small amounts in the mineral supplements favored by
 those who think eating it will improve the health. Zinc is required in
the diet in such small amounts that it is always present in a normal
diet without the need for supplementation. Zinc appears to be rather
non-poisonous, though in large quantities it is carcinogenic. ..."

According to the attached paper from the CDC, zinc oxide melts at more than 1800°C, so presumably there is no risk at temperatures below this, where stoves operate.

 Bob