[Stoves] humidity sensor resources

Crispin Pemberton-Pigott crispinpigott at gmail.com
Mon Feb 4 11:01:27 CST 2013

Dear Marc

I have seen advertised a moisture meter for wood that does not use
penetrating electrodes – it might operate electromagnetically – not sure.

I am still trying to relocate it. It might work for any water-containing
material.

Here are a few notes on a related area: fuel moisture sensors. We researched
this a bit for measuring the moisture content of rice husk quickly in the
field.

It was easy to find wood moisture sensors in the market, but nothing was
suitable for rice husk. It turns out that the operating principle behind
moisture sensors is pretty simple: you stick two leads into a materials and
measure the voltage drop across them (a resistance sensor). You can also do
it with capacitance.

The dead simplest way to implement is two rusty nails and a multimeter. But
here's a slightly better way:

"DIY Cheap soil moisture sensor"

http://www.cheapvegetablegardener.com/how-to-make-cheap-soil-moisture-sensor
-2/

For rice husk, we would end up needing to use plates to get enough contact
area for a reliable reading. I think that's how the lab instruments for this
stuff work e.g. "Moisture spear"s

http://www.qclabequipment.com/SINARSPMOISTUREPROBE.html

Ended up not getting past the parts collection phase of this project!

Marc Paré
B.S. Mechanical Engineering
Georgia Institute of Technology | Université de Technologie de Compiègne