[Stoves] Characteristics of biochar was Re: [biochar] grassifier & cedar chip char

Crispin Pemberton-Pigott crispinpigott at gmail.com
Tue Feb 5 08:17:19 CST 2013

Dear Stuart and Paul

The elemental analysis (ultimate analysis) of residual char is an important topic of future investigation and it is surprising how little has been done. There are coal analysis methods that are popular and routine, however they are not just misleading, they can be highly misleading if you take them to be a list of what is in the fuel. They are more like a study of the result of systematised char-making than elemental analysis.

The concept that throws people off is that of ‘fixed carbon’ as if there was some carbon in the fuel that will not pyrolyse. Even if there was, it is not a measure of the total carbon in a fuel.

So the lower temperature pyrolysis does not only increase the amount of volatiles, and it is also not only the carbon in those volatiles that may or may not be missing. It is not simple at all and the only way to investigate the result is with systematic analysis of the elements in the resulting product. In addition, for practical reasons, one would want to know the chemical contents because while knowing the total quantity of each element, or at least MASHCON as we call it for HTP calculations, the type and % of volatiles is still important.

Lighting very low volatiles high-carbon fuels is much more difficult than the converse. That matters a lot when designing a cooking system. I know there are serious implications for buried char when the wrong volatiles are manufactured in the hot, organic chemical-filled spaces in the pyrolysing fuel. The literature suggests that in Japan they are very specific about the type of fuel and heat treatment needed to get the ‘right’ product for biochar use.

So there are two paths here. The Low path of knowing what is in the fuel so chemically balanced test methods can be applied and the High path with the Low + the chemical nature of everything that has been manufactured in the ‘retort’.

I would settle for a middle path of knowing that the Moisture Ash Sulphur Hydrogen Carbon Oxygen and Nitrogen are (MASHCON) plus the % mass of volatiles. It is difficult enough to get that at a reasonable cost.