[Stoves] A simple water sterilization technique

Charlie Sellers csellers42 at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 11 01:30:15 CST 2013

Thank you for that great reference on improved investigations into this simple approach!  We looked into the use of sari cloth filtration when we explored methods to use when constructing slow sand filters for an EWB project, where we needed to effectively sieve the media so that it had the right particle size distribution.  The information we had available to us concerned just mechanical filtration aspects:
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/09/27/health/27sari.html?_r=0

and as a materials scientist I especially liked their electron microscope images, showing the differences between new and used sari materials (showing openings on the order of ~20 microns):
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC298724/?tool=pmcentrez

But the bottom line is that locally available materials/methods worked for them in Bangladesh, and now the addition of heating the water afterwards can lead to even further improvements in the approach's efficacy.