[Stoves] Maasai and Dung Fuel

rbtvl at aol.com rbtvl at aol.com
Tue Feb 12 23:31:55 CST 2013

The Maasai who burn dung don't have any real choice of fuel.  In some villages wood is so depleted that the distances to walk with heavy loads of wood are  prohibitive.  Dung has its problems of distribution too. When there is inadequate rain the cows are grazed sometimes far from the boma and dung is not concentrated. However kids can carry  dung and that helps.
We are going to do quantitative studies of use in homes...  comparing the decrease of dung with the decrease of wood enabled by our stove. And we will interview the women about fumes and smoke and comfort and see if our chimney has a role in safer more pleasant use of this fuel.
Our study and interviews will give us a direct comparison of mass of dung used with mass of wood.
Any concrete information or data about fumes, known health issues, and energy content will be useful to us.  Thanks. Bob .

Sent from my BlackBerry® smartphone provided by Airtel Tanzania.