[Stoves] Concentrators in ND TLUDs

Paal Wendelbo paaw at online.no
Sun Feb 24 05:47:42 CST 2013

Dear Paul

No doubt you are the first to use the name concentration lid, but probably not the first to utilize it. It is not very important, the most important is that it is utilized to improve the combustion into the TLUD-NDs and that it has got a name. I just called it top lid due to the fact I used it from the very beginning in 1988 and had no other choice.

      Aprovecho 2009

     Rocket

      Mud with skirt
     Rocket

      Haiti side air
     Rocket

      Haiti

       Peko Pe
     Multi Use stove

     Toucan

     TLUD

      Champion

      Fuel to Cook 5L

      (8 50/1500) g
     666.6
     1046.4
     809.1
     768.8
     2749.5
     925.2
     1075.7

      CO to Cook 5L (20)
     59.2
     2 50.5
     27.4
     23.0
     67.3
     52.0
     90.5

      PM to Cook 5L (1500)
     mg
     1656.2
     3267.8
     3060.6
     223.1
     3191.6
     2059.9
     9904.4

      Energy to Cook 5L15,000/25,000mkJ
     kj
     12,839
     20,153
     15,582
     14,807
     52,954
     17,818
     20,718

      Time to boil 5 litres min
     min
     48.4
     47.7
     26.4
     28.1
     30.6
     18.9
     25.0

      CO2 to Cook 5L
     1307.7
     1716.7
     1395.5
     708.6
     843.8
     1052.5
     1098.4

With reference to the Aprovecho informal test in 2009 where Peko Pe got the KSHKW award for the cleanest burning THUD-ND, it is maybe possible to improve the efficiencies a bit; and that is what is done with the new horizontal Peko Pe II and III where the pot will came closer to the glowing char. 5 liter from 20 C ˚ to a boil within 27 minutes with 500 gr fuel and 100 biochar left.

It will always be possible to improve products, but the main thing the price and the acceptance by the end user.

Best regards Paal W